Monday 22 February 2010

Futuristic Clothes from the book 'Fear and Fashion'.

I found an awesome book in the library a few weeks ago called "Fear and Fashion in the Cold War" by Jane Pavitt. It was just what I was looking for. It's full of photos of futuristic fashions, mainly made in the 1960s. I scanned some of the most interesting:

Frank Horvat, American man and woman in spacesuits. 1963: The kid makes me laugh, he looks like he just wants to get away from his 'weirdo' parents hehe!


Alice Edeling, tunic and boots in metallic fabric. the Netherlands, late 1960s:

Emilio Pucci, 'Space bubble' helmet for Braniff airlines, 1965: When I saw this I thought it was just some futuristic fashion shoot but no, the book says that this was actually worn by the air hostesses for a while (until they found it annoying)!! The idea was though that it would stop their hair from blowing all over the place when they got onto the run way, how cool is that!

Giji Bakker, neck ornament shoulder piece aluminium, 1967:

Paco Robanne, "Everything is made of steel", 1968:

Gijs Bakker. Emmy Van Leersum and Tiny Leeuwenkamp. 1970:

Models in metal sheets from the film Qui etes-vous, Polly Maggoo, 1966:

Vaclav Cigler, Circle Framing Face, 1968:

Haus-Rucker Co (Laurids Ortner, Gunter Zamp Kelp and Klaus Pinter), Environment Transformers, 1968: This just looks so awesome and weird! I put it on the cover of my dissertation :D

No comments: